Friday 3 June 2011

Be Sweet Cupcakes



I first stumbled across Be Sweet Cupcakes two years ago when I was meandering along Magazine Street near the massive Whole Foods uptown. As I navigated the crooked terrain of New Orleans' sidewalks--eyes concentrating on the Grand Canyon-like cracks that riddle New Orleans' pedestrian walkways--I saw a chalk written sign advertising homemade cupcakes. That certainly caught my attention! I timidly entered the bakery, and saw a 5 year old boy "manning" the counter (his mother was hovering a few feet behind him). I fondly thought back to my experiences working in the family business, artfully spreading tomato sauce on pizza dough, spooning my grandmother's potato salad into decorative dishes to be put on display in the salad department...

...anyway, the woman greeted me with a smile. She was petite, with dark hair and she was wearing a patterned apron. I remember thinking that she was very "chic" for a baker. Her style was reflected in the bleu de roi walls and sleek stainless steel counter. Soon enough I was asking her about the history of the cupcake shop, and she informed me that they opened that year and that business was doing well. On that first trip I ordered a classic vanilla cupcake with vanilla icing, but later fell in love with the "Roger Rabbit" carrot cake and cream cheese icing cupcake.

Two years later, Be Sweet Cupcakes had adopted new flavors, and I was temped to try the New Orleans inspired Bananas Foster cupcake. Vanilla cake with bits of banana folded into the batter, and a rum and banana liquor icing. I think I heard a choir of angels singing...

No comments:

Post a Comment