Sunday 8 December 2013

The Creole Gumbo Festival

"Another festival?"  Yes.  New Orleans has an endless lineup of festivals to attend -- it is overwhelming and wonderful at the same time.  A few weeks ago, I headed to Louis Armstrong Park for the Creole Gumbo Festival.  I was particularly excited to attend this event because they were featuring New Orleans' only all-female brass band, The Pinettes, as well as a dance competition and second line.

I met Caroline and a few of my new Tulane Medical School friends.  The band was tremendous with so much energy!  Girl power! Also, Richard Simmons (or impersonator?) guest starred in the performance, leading the crowd in a giant jazzercise dance.  I have to admit, we all danced along.

While there, we also sampled many gumbos: Smoked Shitake Vegan Gumbo Z'herbes, Dark Roux Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (one of the best gumbos I have ever had!), and Seafood Gumbo.  I have to go on a little bit more about the Dark Roux gumbo.  It was the kind of gumbo that is extra greasy and just coats your lips in gumbo goodness...yum!  I think food write, Sarah Rohan, would designate this gumbo as a "Big Mama Gumbo."  So good!



No comments:

Post a Comment