Sunday 8 December 2013

Thanksgiving & Meatsgiving

For Thanksgiving, I was lucky enough to head to two celebrations.  First, I went to an open house luncheon at my mentor, Liz's home in the French Quarter.  I was so looking forward to this event because Liz made both Turkey Gumbo and Duck Gumbo!  I started off with the Duck Gumbo, and I just kept going back for more.  It was so rich and sang with citrus, clove, and other warm spices.  Liz told me that she had to behead 14 ducks to make the gumbo - yikes!  Apparently she acquired them through a mutual friend who is a member of the New Orleans Hunting Club.  I also (somehow) had room to try the Turkey Gumbo which was also spectacular.  Oh!  And I sampled oyster stuffing (or dressing, depending on your word preferences) for the first time.  I loved this dish because you never know when you were going to bite into a deliciously salty oyster.

After taking a restorative nap, I garnered enough energy to head to a second Thanksgiving meal in the Marigny neighborhood with my friend Kelsey.  This party was deemed, "Meatsgiving" because there were five types of meat: deep fried turkey, smoked turkey, BBQ turkey, roast turkey, and honey baked ham.  I actually enjoyed the BBQ turkey the best - it had a smokey quality to it, but the meat was more moist than the smoked turkey.  In addition to the mountain of meat at this event, there were dozens of side dishes including traditional sweet potato and green bean casseroles, mashed potatoes and gravy, and latkes for Hanukkah!

Oh! And did I mention that were 6 different pies for dessert?  One of them was a bacon pecan pie.  Yes, that's right, a bacon pecan pie.

After dessert, we created a menorah out of regular and mini Miller High Life bottles to celebrate the second night of Hanukkah (very creative and very Marigny!).  Somehow I made it home before my food coma set in.  I think I slept 14 hours that night.





No comments:

Post a Comment