Wednesday 11 December 2013

More and More Christmas!

Tonight, I took a break from researching and writing to head into the Quarter for two Christmas concerts.  First, I listened to the renowned clarinetist, Evan Christopher, play along with a local jazz quartet.  They played in St. Louis Cathedral -- the church was even more packed that when I went there for the gospel choir concert.  There is something about the clarinet that I find entrancing.  Perhaps because my mother played this instrument, so I always tried to pick it out in the polyphonic sounds of any orchestras I heard and imagine my Mom playing in the first seat.  Or, perhaps, it is because I loved the musical version of Peter and the Wolf (I have fond memories from elemetnary school music class!) Here is a sample, if you are not familiar.

One of my favorite parts of the concert was when everyone in the audience simultaneously burst into "Silent Night" in the middle of jazz version of the song (we were cued by Evan Christopher, but it was a natural rather than planned progression).  I enjoyed the chance to harmonize!

After the St. Louis Cathedral concert, I headed to the Four Points hotel on Bourbon street to hear Bon Operatit perform a Christmas-themed set.  Each month, this local opera troupe hosts a free concert (often themed around whatever holiday or big event is happening around that time).  Here are a few videos from the packed concert!

A beautiful madrigal piece (makes me think of high school choir. I was singing along under my breath!)


While walking around the Quarter, I was also able to snap a few more holiday photos.  One of the houses I passed looked like a gingerbread home, complete with frosting!  I also took at trip to the Hotel Monteleon to admire their Christmas decor.


You can make the pictures bigger if you click on them - make sure to do that for the panoramic one!

No comments:

Post a Comment