Friday 6 December 2013

Old Arabi Sugar Museum

In partnership with the SoFAB Institute, the Old Arabi Sugar Museum--just down the road in Jefferson Parish--opened its doors for the first time on October 24, 2013.  The museum is small, but features some amazing material culture tied to the sugar industry in New Orleans.  It is also located in a historically preserved jail (you can see the cell in one of the images below).  At the ribbon cutting ceremony, I enjoyed fluffy, blue cotton candy while I worked my way through the exhibits--what a treat!




After witnessing the ribbon cutting ceremony, I headed to a local artisans market in Jefferson Parish.  I met some wonderful craftspeople who specialized in Louisiana-based arts and crafts.  While there, I met a New Orleans grower who had a nearby urban farm.  I didn't have anything to do, so I went with him to see his garden, learn about urban cultivating, and munch on some tomatoes, broccoli, and mustard greens.  No "20-minute trip" in New Orleans is actually 20 minutes long...



I ended up going on a 3-hour long tour of Jefferson Parish with this grower.  In his beat up pickup truck we hit the country road, visiting another local community center's Halloween party and driving downriver to a plantation to harvest cucumbers.  After meeting numerous warm-hearted Jefferson Parish residents, we finally made our way back to the artisan market near the Old Arabi Sugar Museum.  The jazz band was still playing.  I decided to go chat with them and see if they would have a "guest singer" perform.  They were more than welcome to let me join in and I sang "At Last" and a few other classic jazz standards.  How fun!  I love New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment