Friday 27 December 2013

À bientôt, New Orleans!



Just over a week ago, I left New Orleans.  On my last morning, I indulged in the small pleasures of my neighborhood and the daily rituals of my life in Esplanade Ridge.  On that 65 degree, sunny morning, I set off to one of my favorite coffee shops: Fair Grinds.  Since this was my last day in the Big Easy for a while, I made sure to splurge on my favorite things...I feel like I should burst into my own version of "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music (I'll spare you that musical interlude for the time being).  I did enjoy an excellently crafted soy latte that morning as well as a fig and rosemary scone, which was absolutely delightful!  I actually took these items to-go and headed back to my little courtyard to sit in peace for a few moments before setting off for Atlanta.  I enjoyed the silence and the wonderful scents of my little oasis.  I finally figured out what that amazing smell was that greeted me every morning when I stepped outside my door -- a tree with infinitesimal white blossoms that smell similar to blooming jasmine.  How divine!  I put the pieces together when I was on Frenchmen Street enjoying jazz music and New Orleans' Christmas decor.  I was meandering and passed by a low hanging branch from the same type of tree that is in my yard -- that enticing scent was the same! Then, I had my "AHA!" moment.  It was actually quite satisfying to solve that mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment