Friday 27 December 2013

Real Pit Bar-B-Q

I was driving from New Orleans to Atlanta and decided to pull off the highway to fill up my tank in Greenville, Alabama.  As I made the exit, I noticed the gas station I was going to stop at had ridiculously expensive gas for that part of Alabama, so I just zipped on by and got back on the highway.  Good thing I did because I was about to make an amazing food find at the very next exit: Real Pit Bar-B-Q.  This place, which is basically a cement block hut, is tucked away behind a gas station.  I asked the lady at a neighboring gas station if there was any good BBQ around and she pointed down the road and said, "There's a really good Bar-B-Q place just down at the next gas station.  Doesn't look like much, but it's got a good reputation."  Sounds good enough to me!


So, I hopped back in my car, drove the quarter mile down the road, and pulled up next to this little BBQ shack.  There was no one in sight.  But, that did not deter me (although the band of feral cats surrounding may car was a bit strange).  I walked right up to the order window and called out, "hello?"  A portly man appeared in the tiny screen window.  "Hello, Miss," he said in a thick-as-molasses southern drawl.  "How can I can help you today?"  I gave him a big smile and said, "I'd love the chopped BBQ sandwich and one of Louise's brownies please!"  When I spoke, his head cocked a bit to the side.  I guess my accent stuck out, because he immediately followed up with a "where are you from?" question.  We talked a bit more.  I told him that I am studying Southern food culture.  His wife, Louise joined him.  She chatted with me a bit too.  All in all about 5 minutes.  As I was chatting, four more people pulled up to get some BBQ.


With my sandwich in hand, I headed back to my car to enjoy my lunch.  I had company.  The feral cats suddenly became quite active once they saw the food in my hand.  While snacking on my awesome sandwich, I noticed a smoking oil drum-shaped contraption in front of me -- that must be where this Mom and Pop stand smokes their meat!  Looked a little sketchy, but I didn't care because the meat was so succulent - oh man!

No comments:

Post a Comment