Wednesday 11 December 2013

Another Typical Day in the Archive?

What does a typical day at the SoFAB Institute Culinary Library look like?  Well, I have to admit, every day is different!  I can say, though, that there is a pervasive sense of community.  For example, yesterday, Liz brought in pickled goodies for everyone to share.  I brought in home baked lemon bars with a great shortbread bottom (mmmm....butter!)  It seems that everyday the SoFAB staff does small things to build morale and keep things friendly.

After I walk in the door, I typically take a few minutes to catch up with everyone--checking in on how Liz's dinner party went, or how Kelsey's concert turned out, or asking if Joe finally got a chance to put his Christmas decorations up.  In many ways, the archive functions like an office environment (we even convene around the communal coffee pot!)

Then, I get settled at my work station, and I pull off a new Creole cookbook from the shelf.  I love carefully reading the introductions to see how New Orleanians "tell the tale of Creole cuisine."  I look for continuities in the story and I also pay attention for when the text diverges from the common myth of how Creole cuisine came to be (Started by the French with a dash of Spanish culinary tradition and a large helping of American Indian, West African, and Caribbean food practices.  Mix it all together and you get Creole Cookery!  Sometimes, introductions will also speak about the influence of Sicilians, Germans, Yugoslavians, Vietnamese, and other ethnic groups typically skirted over in the history of NOLA cuisine).  If I am lucky, the introduction will also reference the French Market or market vendors.  Some intros even have vivid depictions of the vendors accompanied by transcribed vendor cries or even songs!  These are my favorite.

The library always has visitors -- prominent New Orleans foodies checking in on SoFAB's progress, museum volunteers coming to catalog, locals coming to drop of dozens (if not hundreds) of cookbooks.  I love the energy!  I always feel the SoFAB Institute is propelling itself forward.  It is so exciting to be a fly on the wall of this magnificent transformation.



No comments:

Post a Comment