Monday 14 October 2013

The Spoken Word

Yesterday, I took a short study break to head back to the Louisiana Seafood Festival and try some other fabulous New Orleans dish.  This time, I went for the BBQ fried oyster po'boy sandwich from Red Fish Grill.  Yes, it was smothered in BBQ sauce and blue cheese dressing and it was delicious (remind me to go run a 5k today...)


My afternoon was filled with data analysis, which proved to be very enlightening - I'm learning a lot about the New Orleans City Government's role in policing and profiting from quasi private farmers' markets in the city in the 1920s-40s.

In the evening, I met up with my college friend, Caroline.  We headed to the Shadowbox Theater in a very hip part of town called The Bywater to see their monthly Poetry Slam.  This spoken word competition completely blew me away.  I'm not even sure what I expected of the event, but I did not expect to be moved so deeply and so quickly by the performances of these New Orleans-based artists.  The topics were very heavy.  Some of the artists chose to emphasize the darker sides of their personal experiences, while others tried to make them more accessible through humor.  10 thumbs up for all of the performers!

I did not see this particular performance, but I did see the man in this video perform last night:
Team Slam New Orleans

1 comment:

  1. omg!! the poboy looks amazing!! you really got a good one! dont worry i'm not upset that i didnt get a mention on the blog... "spent a riveting 20 minutes playing catch up with my absolute favorite cousin who supports me in all my endeavors and gives me amazing life advice..." its okay, really. love you!! p.s. SPOKEN WORD is sooooo awesome! glad you got to see it!

    ReplyDelete