Tuesday 8 October 2013

Esplanade Ridge - e.g. My New Home

After  I settled into my cute little cottage, I headed over to by mentor's home for a glass of wine and the opportunity to catch up with Liz and her husband, Rick.  It was so nice to see them on my first night in New Orleans.  It helped me feel connected with good friends at the beginning of a potentially isolating process: dissertation research.  I've made it a goal to try to meet up with friends every day during this first week here so that I can make a smooth-as-possible transition to life here in New Orleans.

Speaking of meeting up with friends, I was able to catch up with one of my college roommates, Caroline on my second day here.  But, before I cover that adventure, I want to reflect on the first half of my second day in NOLA...

I'm living in a very cute neighborhood called Esplanade Ridge.  It is nestled between Mid-City, Treme, and the 7th Ward (e.g. I'm immersed in and surrounded by vibrant and strikingly different neighborhoods).  On my first morning in my new community, I decided to head up to City Park (New Orleans' version of Central Park in NYC and South Park in Pittsburgh).  I spent a good 2 hours actually getting lost in City Park.  It is so large and there are all of these little winding paths that lead to various park facilities such as the tennis center, dog park, equestrian center, and New Orleans Museum of Art:





Eventually, I found my way back toward the entrance of the park.  On my way home, I passed by New Orleans Cemetery #3, recognizable by its elaborate, family mausoleums (often with inscription in French):





I had a few hours to get settled in my new place and take a swim in my pool before heading off to meet Caroline at her place near Tulane.  We decided to enjoy the gorgeous evening, gas lanterns, and New Orleans architecture and walk to the main quad where all of the Tulane Homecoming events were going on (with bottled hard cider in hand).  We stumbled on an art gallery event at the Newcomb Art Gallery celebrating a new exhibit on Women, Art, and Social Change.  We took a few moments to enjoy the live jazz quartet before looping around the quad and eventually joining the crowd in front of the main stage.  We arrived as the Head and Heart sang one of their more famous songs, "Down in the Valley."  I also enjoyed hearing them perform, "Rivers and Roads" -- a very powerful song with a great build.


After the concert, we spent a bit more time on Tulane's main quad.  For homecoming, the university had set up a carnival right in the heart of campus complete with garishly lit rides and concession stands -- such a magical sight to see!


1 comment:

  1. love the head and the heart! i saw them in pittsburgh a few year ago!! :)

    ReplyDelete