Tuesday 8 October 2013

My First Second Line!

What is a second line? Wikipedia actually has a pretty apt definition: "Second line is a tradition in brass band parades in New Orleans, Louisiana. The 'first line' is the main section of the parade, or the members of the actual club with the parading permit as well as the brass band. Those who follow the band just to enjoy the music are called the 'second line.'"

Now that you have the necessary background, I can dive into my story...

I was sitting on my porch answering long overdue emails when I heard brass band music down the street.  I abandoned my work, ran outside, and stumbled across a second line parading down N. Broad Street.  At first I was a bit confused as to whether or not it was actually a second line, but then I saw the lime green umbrellas pumping up and down and knew I was witnessing a quintessential New Orleans parade experience.  I called my Dad to check and and describe this event to him in real time.  I told him I was going to go back inside and work, but being me, I eventually decided to just join right in the festivities.  It was so neat to watch hundreds of my neighbors pour out of their houses to join everyone dancing/drinking on the streets.  I would say that second lines are normally a group-oriented meet up, but I didn't let that stop me from joining in as a single.

I met some tourists from Boston who were kind enough to buy me a beer from one of the impromptu pickup truck bed bars, and enjoyed being an observer and quasi-participant in a very New Orleanian event. A bit later, I ended up having a very serious conversation with a native New Orleanian about the gentrification process (its negatives and positives) and was happy to reflect on how much I still have to learn about this city. I'm grateful that my neighbors are willing to chat with me and share their opinions...those conversations are helping me have a more informed perspective on NOLA (the good, bad, and ugly of this city).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment