Tuesday 8 October 2013

Remind me how I got to New Orleans?

It has been a good while since I've written about my exploration of food culture and travel.  But, I'm back and happy to catalog my adventures in the Big Easy over the next 6 months.  In order to do that, I have to back up a bit and reflect on my drive from Pittsburgh to New Orleans via Durham and Atlanta (the epic journey).

Upon leaving my home town, I headed straight for Winchester, VA.  In the past few years, Winchester has become a staple stop on my family's bi-annual migration to the North Carolina coast.  The historic downtown is bustling and makes me think I am on some sort of movie or television set about the pleasures of small town life (a la Gilmore Girls' Stars Hollow).




I must admit that Yelp led me to a mediocre place for lunch, but Jane and Michael Stearn from Roadfood.com recommended Snow White Grill, which is right on the main strip of Old Winchester.  I'll have to add this food stop to my bucket list.

I spent a good hour meandering around and happened to pass by places ranging from a Jamaican Cafe to George Washington's Office Museum (who knew that kind of museum existed?)

After stopping in Virginia, I hopped back in my car and somehow managed to make it to Durham (let's put this 9-hour driving day into context.  A year ago, the longest solo driving trip I ever took was 2.5 hours to Eustice, LA from New Orleans for the Southern Foodways Alliance's Cajun Field Trip).  My wonderful host, Meggan, welcomed me with open arms and a warm cup of tea and for that I was tremendously grateful.





1 comment:

  1. So delighted to be reading your blog again! And I'm inspired to be reading about how following your passions has taken you on this journey through academia. Best of luck with your dissertation research!

    ReplyDelete