Tuesday 8 October 2013

Homecoming Weekend

Did I mention that my stay in Durham fell on Homecoming weekend as well?  So, in addition to the History Department party and catching up with old friends, I was also happy to partake in alumni festivities (I did, after all, "graduate" with my MA in the spring).

Meggan was kind enough to let me drag her to the Lady Blue Alumni Arch Sing on Saturday morning.  It was a pretty emotional moment to hear those talented young women perform - a cappella always seems to have that effect on me.  But, there is something in particular about neo-gothic archways and the sound they create that gets me every time!  Brovo, ladies!  Oh, and I was so happy to join in on our alumni song, "Faith."  Too fun!




After the arch sing, Meggan and I headed to the Graduate Student Association tailgate for the Duke vs. Troy game.  We enjoyed the blue skies, watched our fellow grad students play corn hole, and then went for a walk in the Duke gardens where we came across another a cappella performance by Duke's Out of the Blue. 





We eventually made our way back to football game to watch Duke score a touchdown (yes, there were fireworks!)



At this point, you might think that our day was winding down, but in many ways it had just begun!  After the game, we headed to Guglhupf for their Oktoberfest celebration and eventually made our way to a local dive bar for karaoke (I have not laughed that hard in a good while!  Duke historians certainly know how to work the crowd with a microphone in their hand and a prop guitar at the ready for musical interludes!)




No comments:

Post a Comment