Tuesday 8 October 2013

Bull City to the ATL to the Big Easy

With a somewhat heavy heart, I left Durham on Monday morning to drive to Atlanta.  I stopped at this great vegan cafe in Charlotte called Luna's Living Kitchen where I had a restorative lunch (including a green tea mache smoothy):





With a new found sense of energy and optimism, I headed on down to Atlanta to visit my godfather, Bryan and his wonderful family.  Oddly enough, my aunt and uncle from Michigan arrived at his house just 30 minutes before I did, so I got to see many of my family members who do not live in Pittsburgh!  That night, Karen made a delicious home cooked meal for all of us with adorable mini-apple pies for dessert:




Also, as a small side note, I could not get over how inexpensive the gas is in South Carolina.  No tax on gas means under $3.00 a gallon!


After a short stay in Atlanta, I took off once again through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and eventually Louisiana.  I stopped in Montgomery, AL for lunch.  Without any real food tourism direction, I stumbled across this cute corner cafe, which is famous for its chicken salad sandwiches:



The women running this place were friendly, the atmosphere was bohemian, and the sandwich was surprisingly delightful.  The toasted bread was warm in my hands, and the chicken salad was light and sweet.  I intended to just eat half of my sandwich, but that did not happen because it was too good to put down!

After my short stop on Montgomery, I kept making my way south toward Mobile (a city I may end up doing a bit of dissertation research).  I intended to eat at Wintzell's Oyster House when I arrived there, but I wasn't hungry and decided to head to another local establishment for coffee instead, Serda's Coffee Company, where I had the best iced mocha of my life!!!  I enjoyed walking around downtown Mobile, noting that many of the street names were the same as in New Orleans.  The architecture was similar too...

With much anticipation, I got back in the car and drove to New Orleans.  My arrival in the city was stunning.  30 minutes, or so, outside of the city, I started driving by swamp land that was coated in brilliant green algae.  Soon, I saw road signs for New Orleans, Hammond, and Baton Rouge (I was getting so close...)  As I crossed lake Pontchartrain on I-10, the brilliant twilight sky opened up before me and the outline of New Orleans rose in the distance.  The sight took my breath away.  I honestly could not get over it!  I was finally in the Big Easy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment