Sunday 13 October 2013

Japan Meets Louisiana Seafood Head On

It's another beautiful day in New Orleans - not a cloud in the sky!  When I walked outside to my patio this morning, I smelled the most heavenly floral scent in the air.  There must be some blooming jasmine nearby!

Yesterday afternoon, I took a walk toward City Park which was host to not one, but two different festivals: Japan Fest and The Louisiana Seafood Festival.  I headed straight for Japan Fest because I wanted to hear Kaminari Taiko perform in the New Orleans Museum of Art Sculpture Gardens.







I even took short video of their performance for y'all to check out:



As I hinted at above, Japan Fest was tied to the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA).  All day long, they had events in NOMA including Japanese tea ceremonies, guided tours of the Japanese collection on the third floor of the museum, and a small arts fare in the main lobby.



Eventually, I made my way over to the Louisiana Seafood Festival because it was lunch time!  I tried three different dishes: an alligator sausage taco from Woody's Fish Tacos, the infamous charbroiled oysters from Drago's, and a slow roasted duck and Asian slaw poboy from Jacques-Imo's.  The oysters were by far my favorite.  They were infused with the most fantastic smokey, char-y flavor that paired beautifully with the tang of lemon juice and the rich creaminess of melted butter. y-u-m.  I got a chance to hear Mia Borders perform while I enjoyed my lunch.


After enjoying those festivals, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up the necessary ingredients to make tea sandwiches for my friend's croquet themed birthday party - baby arugula fig sandwiches with a touch of cream cheese.  And I'm happy to say that I won the croquet match.  Huzzah!  After spending a lazy afternoon sipping on Pimm's cups, I headed to St. Joe's bar on Magazine to meet up with the daughter of one of my professor's at Duke.  We enjoyed the Japanese lantern lit courtyard while indulging in their famous blueberry mojitos.



3 comments:

  1. huzzah! you are living the dream!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. morse always wins!!!! i want one of those mojitos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you come visit, we can go to St. Joe's!

    ReplyDelete