Tuesday 13 May 2014

There are no farmers' markets in Iceland

One last note about Iceland....there are no farmers' markets there in May. Weird! Reykjavik was honestly the first city I've ever been to that doesn't have some sort of farmers' market (whether it be open air, enclosed, in a market house etc.) Nothing! The absence of a farmers' market is fascinating to me, especially since many of the fresh produce is actually grown in green houses in Iceland and isn't imported from abroad.

I actually asked about 5 different Icelanders if they had a farmers' market or a fruit and veggie market and they all shrugged and said "No, we just have grocery stores."

Alas, when I was at the airport and about to leave for Paris, I spotted a farmers' market! Well, not really. Just an odd advertisement that was using the aesthetic of a farmers' market to promote a "heritage fashion" clothing line...


No comments:

Post a Comment