Saturday 24 May 2014

National Library - Archives Redux

After spending a few days researching at the National Archives out near Saint Denis, I decided to head to a different archive at the National Library in the heart of Paris. The materials housed in these collections are largely photographs, maps, and other visual depictions of Paris' infamous markets. Once again, I had to navigate the bureaucracy of the state archival system - no easy task! But, the woman who entered in all my details and created my library card was super sweet and started telling me about how her grandfather used to work at Les Halles in Paris. Obviously, I listened intently.

I started off in the Maps and Architectural Plans archive and the moved on to the Prints and Photographs collection in the following days. The collections there are expansive. I had the chance to work with some original maps and photographs and had to wear archival gloves. I felt like a "real" scholar as I flipped through lithographs capturing images of fishermen, fish vendors, and other food vendors.

During my lunch breaks, I headed out into the central courtyard with all of the other scholars. We would sit around the garden in silence, munching on our packed lunches. Some of them were sipping espresso in little plastic cups dispensed from the coffee vending machine. The first few days I felt like everyone was keeping to themselves. The last day I was in the archive (on a Saturday), the social environment of the archives had completely changed. For whatever reason, everyone I ran into was a Miss Chatty Cathy and wanted to strike up a 30 minute conversation. This happened to me when I was looking around one of the exhibition halls. I ended up falling into a 25-30 minute conversation about life, travel, education with a security guard. It was actually really magical! I love when you can connect with people like that.






Look at that happy face! The archives are so exciting! The last day I was there...actually, the last hour I was there, I found the most amazing collection of street vendor images. I didn't have enough time to explore everything. I'll just have to go back!





1 comment: