Friday 9 May 2014

Grenadilla - A Strange Fruit

One morning, I saw a man at the hotel breakfast buffet eating this strange little yellow fruit. I was really curious about it, so I set out the next morning to procure my own weirdly round piece of fruit. Voila! I found some at the hotel fruit bar. I wasn't exactly sure how to eat it, but I remember the man spooning out the fruit like it was a kiwi. So, I sawed into my fruit with a knife to find this bizarre cluster of seeds that sort of looked like milky fish eyes. I have to admit, I wasn't exactly sure if I was going about eating this thing correctly...I just decided to spoon some of the seeds into my mouth. What an odd flavor! The taste was very floral -- almost like passion fruit mixed with elderflower? That is about as close as I can get to describing the fruit (which I later learned is called grenadilla).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment