Tuesday 13 May 2014

A few more things about Peru...

Ah! I finally downloaded the photos from my iPhone onto my computer and I am remembering a few fun things that I did during my final days in Peru (e.g. after Machu Picchu).

When Tina and I flew back to Lima from Cusco, we had about 1.5 days to explore before we flew back to the States. We wanted to take advantage of this time to head to some of the more historic parts of Lima. As you might remember, we were staying in the Miraflores area (which is more modern "Beverly Hills"-like area). So, we headed to the colonial center of town to look around and do a bit of sightseeing.

We came across a cool central square, archaeological museum, and a gorgeous church that was frequented by a giant flock of pigeons (I, of course, busted out into a rousing rendition of "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins, which got a good laugh out of Tina).







Tina and I were about to head back to the hotel when I spotted this tall, pink building off in the distance. I said, "Hey! Let's go to that place really quickly!" One word: FATE. That building housed Lima's national food museum, La Casa de la Gastronomia. I mean, c'mon!


The museum was amazing!!! They placed a lot of emphases on the street food culture of Lima and their street food vendors (which I obviously loved and was sort of freaking out about). Look at that smile...









The entire time I kept thinking, "I want to intern here!" and "I want to build a partnership between the Southern Food and Beverage Museum and La Casa de la Gastronomia!" Eventually, Tina had to tear me away from the museum because we had to go grab some lunch (just as I was stepping into the Quinoa exhibit too! Oh well!)

For one of our last meals, Tina and I decided to have ceviche - a dish Peru is fairly famous for. We went to a well recommended restaurant in Miraflores to try the super peppery & lemon dish. YUMMMM!


Last but not least, we ended our day in search of a famous chocolate nugget candy.



No comments:

Post a Comment