Saturday 24 May 2014

Angelina Cafe - African Hot Chocolate Pilgrimage

My good friend Elah and I were traveling in Paris together not too long ago. When in the City of Lights, we tried to go to Angelina for what Elah deemed, "The best hot chocolate she ever had in her life." Sadly, upon arrival, we saw that the cafe was closed for a private party. (RAGE FACE!)

Yes. This was une problème. So, when I left Paris in April, Angeline remained on my list of to-dos. Lucky for me, the cafe is located just a few short blocks from my route to the National Library in Paris. Study break anyone?

After a long day at the archives, I decided to treat myself to this o-so-delicious treat...

As you walk by Angeline, you are immediately drawn to the window displays of fresh pastries. People basically squish their noses right up against the pane. Their breath fogs up the glass as they stare longingly at the pastries delicately placed on doilies and dainty cake stands. Once you step inside, the gold leaf, peony pink walls, and elegant chairs sing of elegance. And no wonder - Parisian elite used to dine here!

I sat down and looked around me. I was surrounded by tables and tables of tourists - their DSLR cameras rested next to ceramic mugs coated in thick chocolatey residue from the infamous hot chocolate. Soon, I turned my attention to the waitstaff who ran this dining room like a well oiled machine. They reminded me of the waiters at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. They seemed to have an innate ability to tell what you were going to order off the menu before you even did. They worked with a swift practicality. No fluff. Just get 'er done.

Soon enough, my hot chocolate was brought over accompanied by a cup of freshly whipped cream. I poured my drink, relishing in the extreme thickness and wonderful smoothness of my mini-chocolate waterfall. Then, I spooned in some whipped cream and the most magical thing happened; the whipped cream began to spread out on the surface of the hot chocolate. It was actually really mezmerising watching those billowing clouds of cream seep into the coco concoction.z

Then, I took my first sip. The chocolate coated my tongue and eased down my throat in the smoothest way. It was chocolatey. Really chocolatey. I felt like I was drinking the most decadent kind of chocolate bar. As I've said before, and will say again...I live with no regrets.



After Angeline, I walked through the Tuileries gardens. Spring time in Paris is so beautiful. I know everyone says "Paris in April," but I have to tell you, "Paris in mid-May" is just as stunning! The purple flowers along my walk were magnificent. And I wasn't the only one enjoying late spring in Paris. Hundreds of people promenaded along the gravel paths of the Tuileries.


Eventually I made it home and even though I had just consumed the most decadent hot chocolate ever, I still appreciated the sweet offerings at my local bakery. I mean, that raspberry tart looks amazing.





1 comment: