Saturday 24 May 2014

My crocs and Me

Parisians love their fashion. Chanel, Louboutin, and Vouitton are haute couture icons that many people have heard of in some way shape or form. Although Parisians on the Metro are not likely wearing these designers, their well-tailored basics speak to a common respect and expectation for sophisticated dress. Most Parisians wear black, grey, and white. And they wear these colors really well (normally pairing them with an artfully wrapped scarf).

While in Paris, I definitely stuck out. After all, I was traveling with my minimalist's suitcase (which was packed based on my need to be outfitted for extreme weather and hiking conditions in Peru and Iceland and conservative clothing in Morocco). I had the room to take two pairs of shoes with me. Ones that I could walk around in comfortably, exercise in, and wear in the rain. What did that leave me with? A pair of white tennis shoes that basically screamed, "I'm AMERICAN!" and a pair of grey Croc ballet flats. These shoes don't even scream anything. They basically mumble, "I'm practical and versatile. Merp."

Straight away, I received some pretty long stairs on the Metro. My friends in Paris tried to reassure me by telling me that the Parisians were likely staring at me because I was so tall. Yeah...right. I laughed and thanked them for their kind, but false words. Let's face it...everyone was staring at my practical long grey skirt, practical grey travel purse, and even more practical grey Crocs (probably wondering if I was a Mennonite or a member of some other obscure conservative religious group).

After a few days of enduring this (unwanted) attention on the Metro, I decided to embrace my "Americaness" and started wearing brightly colored, striped hiking socks just to add to the absurdity of my appearance. Go big or go home!

When people gave me the once over, I give them the once over back! I would stare straight back into their eyes, attempting to communicate my snarky confidence. "Like my Crocs? Yeah, they are really comfortable...and sweet. Don't be jealous because your feet hurt in those 3 inch heels." I liked to think that I came across as confident, but the inner-dialog running through their heads probably went something like this, "Is she actually wearing that? Someone call the people who host that obnoxious American show...what's it called? Oh yes...What Not to Wear."


As a side note, I did see a man wearing shorts on the subway. There is a saying (or a known fact) that "Parisians don't wear shorts." I'm not sure if this man was Parisian, but he was definitely French!


2 comments:

  1. "I'm practical and versatile. Merp"

    omg ash i am dying at this one!! your inner monolouge stare down speech was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. Might also have to do with the facts that people-watching is just taken much more seriously (and is much less surreptitious) in France. I think everyone looked at everyone all the time. Notice that they probably didn't look away when you stared back at them - they just kept on looking, but it's more accepted there and not something to hide.

    Also, you know how I support any and all things practical. Go Ashley!!

    ReplyDelete