Saturday 24 May 2014

Saint Denis Basillica

After putting in another day of research at the national archives, I decided to explore the historic district of Saint Denis (perhaps best known as the location the royal crypt). I took the metro one stop and got off at Basilisque Saint Denis. This neighborhood was very interesting in that it has one of the most diverse urban populations I have ever seen. As I walked down a bustling pedestrian walkway, I passed by people coming from all across Africa and Eastern Europe. I can't tell you how many Moms I passed by with their sleepy children hiding under nylon baby carriage canopies. Toward the other end of that avenue, I stumbled on bunch young kids playing soccer in the street.

After walking around a bit more, I came back toward the basilica. People were out enjoying the sun - conversing over a late lunch, watching children ride the marry-go-round....just relaxing.


At this point in the afternoon, the air was cooling down a bit, but the church was still such a nice respite from the summer heat. I stepped into the basilica and lost my breath. The ceilings were monstrously high - their towering walls draw your eyes up to the colorful stain glass windows that stretch high towards the ceiling.




Then, I walked to the back of the church where the royal crypt is located. The calm edifices of centuries of kings and queens gazed up toward those rainbow colored windows. It was haunting and beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment