Saturday 24 May 2014

Baguettes

Oh how I love baguettes. I love them so much that I go to the local bakery every evening to buy one. Baguettes, believe it or not, come in many different styles. You can get them in varieties such as "traditional," "multi-grain," "7-seed' etc. My favorite is the traditional baguette, or the "tradi," for short. The difference between a baguette and a traditional baguette matters. A few years ago, French bakeries began ordering in frozen baguettes that they would just pop in the oven the day of. Outraged by this practice, many French people demanded that bakeries continue to make traditional-style baguettes from scratch. And thus, the baguette "tradition" distinction was born.

You can definitely notice the difference between the frozen baguettes and the traditional baguettes. The baguette tradi is denser, chewier, with a cracklier crust and much more flavor. It's just wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that I rarely made it home without snacking.

Sometimes, if I was lucky, I would reach the bakery just as they were pulling a fresh batch of loaves of the oven. There is nothing like juggling a hot baguette between your hands as you walk down the street. It made me feel so Parisian.

Here's an image of a plane baguette - piping hot out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment