Tuesday 18 March 2014

Robin and Alison come to visit!

A few weekends ago, a Yale friend of mine (Robin) came to visit me with her friend Alison (another Yalie).  For the most part, I let them go off and explore the city on their own. They were tourist champions -- pulling 15 hour days of fun, fun, fun. I was able to join them for a few of the activities. We started off with dinner and music at Bacchanal (of course!) As always, the atmosphere was charming, the wine and cheese were spot on, and the music was fab!



One of the evenings they were in town and I was en route to meet up with them, I stumbled across the Frenchmen Street Art Market. I love the idea of a nighttime craft fair. I happened upon at twilight, just as vendors were caught up in the last minute preparations before the "opening bell" rang. I ducked in for a few minutes to glance around. I definitely need to head back during normal operating hours!



On the weekend, we headed to the Marigny for brunch at the Cake Cafe. On Lundi Gras, I tried to head here for lunch, but the crowds were too heavy (everyone wanted king cake!) I am glad I waited to head here with Robin and Alison. There was barely a wait and the food was excellent - earthy (healthy juices and smoothies), southern (biscuits and grits), and cozy (brightly colored paintings done by local Louisiana artists decked the walls).






After brunch, we took a walk around the neighborhood (largely to give us time to digest our giant breakfasts!) We came across some pretty cool street art along one street.



Then, we headed uptown to do a bit of shopping on Magazine St. We explored some antique shops, grabbed some macarons at Sucre, split a "chocolate blackout" doughnut at District, and somehow made it back to the car before the food coma set in. I dropped the girls off at Mardi Gras World to take a tour of the Carnival floats and I went home to do work!





No comments:

Post a Comment