Tuesday 18 March 2014

Chicken Pot Pie and 2 POUNDS OF BUTTER

Today, I made the long trek up to Baton Rouge during rush hour. That would have been a terrible trip if the sun hadn't been shining. It was so bright out that I began regretting that I didn't put sunscreen on that morning!

I arrived at Magnolia Mound to find Jeanne, Susan, and Wendy gearing up to skewer the salty, southern ham to put in the reflector oven in front of the open hearth. It was chilly in the kitchen today - I was happy to snuggle up by the fire to toast the flour for our blond roux and saute the onions for our chicken pot pie (which we paired with fresh baked herb biscuits instead of a traditional pie crust). By the end of the day, we had made the pot pie, honey glazed sweet potatoes, smoked sausage, ham, and bread pudding. We used 2 pounds of butter. 2 pounds for 4 people!!!



The winter garden still had some veggies to harvest: onions, carrots, spinach etc. I love harvesting carrots - these ones were nice and sweet.


My wonderful teachers (from left to right: Susan, Jeanne, and Wendy):


In the kitchen with the finished products:


No comments:

Post a Comment