Sunday 2 March 2014

Krewe of Endymion

This was by far the biggest parade I've been to so far. I felt as if the entire city had come out to see the famously large floats of the Krewe of Endymion that roll through my neighborhood -- Mid City! Byt the time the floats rolled by, the crowd was 40 people deep on both sides of Canal Street.

This time, I played host to all of my wonderful friends who have been hosting me at their homes/BBQs/tailgates/get-togethers for the past few weeks. I was happy to return the favor, if only in a small way. After gathering at my house, we actually moved on to my friend Brad's house and then on to his friends' home right along the parade route. I sort of felt like I was on the set of some terrible college movie that was featuring a frat party (a la Old School). The party wasn't terrible, though! We enjoyed king cake (of course), hamburgers, hot dogs, good conversation, and sunshine.

Soon, though, we moved to a different part of the parade route to meet up with other friends. Here, the real New Orleanians had come out (people who I would liken to the Yunzers back home in Pittsburgh). They had set up tarps, tables, chairs, tents, barbecues, speakers etc. right on Canal Street at 5:00 am and were in the midst of a huge block party when we arrived around 2:00. Incredible!



We hung out there, meeting new people, just revelling in the gorgeous weather and before we knew it, the first floats were passing by (around 5:30 pm)






 By 7:30, I went spent and ready for bed! We stopped by a restaurant need my house for a quick bite to eat first. Sweet sustenance! Tamales never tasted so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment