Saturday 21 May 2011

Nirvana


When I visited the Southern Food and Beverage Museum the other day, I was talking to some visitors of the museum. I asked them what restaurants they recommended in New Orleans, and the woman suggested Nirvana, an Indian restaurant on Magazine Street. On Friday, after visiting the Historic New Orleans Collection in the French Quarter, I hopped on the streetcar and headed to Napoleon Avenue, and then walked to Magazine Street. It was H-O-T hot outside, and I was so glad to step into the air conditioned restaurant. I immediately liked the ambiance: midnight blue walls, mat gold painted chairs with red cushions. There were several paintings on the walls depicting scenes from various Indian epics. The waiter suggested that I try the lunch buffet (although I could order off the menu if I liked as well). THE FOOD WAS SO GOOD! I might even venture to say that this was the overall best Indian buffet I have ever been to. There was a wonderful salad bar with great fresh greens (which you don't often find at buffets). But the stars of the buffet were the many curry dishes, the paneer and the masala mushrooms! Yum, yum, yum! The flavors just worked so well together, and the spices were perfect: a solid medium hot. I like my Indian food to have some kick to it, and Nirvana delivered. I would recommend any Indian food lover to visit this fantastic restaurant! And the best part? The price! $10.93 for the lunch buffet (much cheaper than Tandoor in New Haven!)

No comments:

Post a Comment