Saturday 21 May 2011

Louisiana Pizza Kitchen



Much of my time in New Orleans is spent in the archives, researching the lives of somewhat obscure chefs and cooks in New Orleans. On a good morning I can wheel my way through 15 reels of microfilm. In between this research, I break for lunch. But my lunch break is so much more than eating: its my portal into New Orleanian culture which is so defined by its food. If I want to write about the history of New Orleans cuisine, I must have a good grasp of its restaurant scene. So, I started my exploration of NOLA cuisine with the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen. The restaurant had decent reviews online, so I headed past the French Market to this small corner restaurant. I immediately liked the ambience: cool exterior with a hip bar-like feel. From my seat I could see the pizza oven and the mastermind cook behind the crispy thin crust of LPK pizzas. My tummy was rumbling, and I was craving good pizza (with a Creole twist?) The service was really fast, and before I could properly look at the menu I found myself ordering a "Four Seasons" pizza and a black cherry soda. When the pizza came it looked delicious: heaps of artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and a dusting of flour on the edges of the crisped crust. I started out with a knife and fork, but was too hungry to stick to such tedious practices, and just picked up the pizza in my hand. Anticipation mounted as I took my first bite, but bizarrely my taste buds were hit by an overwhelming taste of herbes de Provence. What?!, I thought to myself. Upon closer examination, I saw that my knight-in-shining armor cook had been a bit too liberal with his spices. I am not one to normally dislike food, but these herbs were too pungent for the pizza and overwhelmed the simplistic characteristics of good pizza: simple crust, cheese and tomato sauce. Well, at least I had my black cherry soda to cheer me up! If I head back to the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, I will not order the "Four Seasons" pizza, but I would venture for a simpler pizza which showcases the delicate wood fired crust.


No comments:

Post a Comment