Friday 27 May 2011

BBB: Big Bad Breakfast



My host was kind enough to drive me to Big Bad Breakfast (BBB) this morning at 7:10 am to pick up my to-go order of the Big Bad Breakfast Plate: two poached eggs, andouille sausage, grits, tomato gravy and a homemade biscuit. Yum. Everyone, and I mean everyone I talked to in Oxford said that BBB had THE BEST breakfast. Naturally, I felt inclined to make a trip, whatever the cost, to this infamous breakfast joint (...no beauty wrest for me). It is located in a strip mall about 1 mile North of the Oxford town square. The building and its surroundings may be nondescript, but nothing about BBB or its food is bland. The diner has a very warm atmosphere: largely burgundy and creme decor. When I walked in, a lone man sat at the curving counter, hunched over his breakfast plate, chewing away at his large mouthful of scrambled eggs and biscuit. He didn't even look up at us--he was too consumed by the task of finishing his breakfast (I took this as a good sign).

After we got back to Sara's apartment, I unpacked my breakfast onto a real plate, and sat down with a content sigh.



The smell of perfectly cooked and seasoned grits was calming...and yes, the grits were the best grits I ever had in my life....ever! Seriously, I loved them! The andouille sausage was nice and spicy, the poached eggs (with traces of red vinegar still on them) oozed onto one half of my biscuit, and the red gravy dressed the other half of my biscuit. The biscuit was clearly homemade (it broke apart so easily), but the spices were not ideal for my tastes. I'm more of a buttery-goodness kind of gal, rather than a gritty-spicy biscuit gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment