Sunday 22 May 2011

Eat New Orleans


As I headed to the archive every morning, I kept passing by this little restaurant called Eat. I like the name: it is simple. The lime green awning kept drawing my attentions as I was passing by a countless number of pastel colored Creole cottages in the Quarter. So, yesterday I stopped by Eat for an early brunch. I arrived about 10 minutes after 9:00, so the restaurant was relatively empty. I grabbed a window seat, and ordered a cup of coffee. The menu was sheer genius. Any menu that has 4 variations of eggs benedict (my go-to brunch dish) is A-OK in my book! I opted for "Eggs Dauphine:" poached eggs perched on top of half-inch thick pieces of ham wresting on top of fried green tomatoes...top it all of with hollandaise sauce. The dish came with fresh fruit and a giant homemade biscuit on the side. The first bite was pure heaven. I mean honestly, I've never met an eggs benedict that I didn't love. In the early morning light, I could see the steam rising off of the poach eggs as the golden yellow center poured over the ham and fried green tomatoes. Fantastique! And the biscuit...oh my...the biscuit was that perfect combination of sticky-crumbly dough with a slightly salty-sweet taste. Great with butter and jam! In addition to this amazingly delicious meal, the server I had was a doll. Most of the servers were in their twenties--a youthful staff. The patrons of the restaurant were also young: several artists came in with their guitars in hand. With a wink, one of these musicians promised to play me a song "the next time." In general, people in New Orleans are quite friendly. I love it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment