Wednesday 30 July 2014

Paris - la troisième fois!

I can't believe I am writing this right now because it sounds so absurd...but here I go...

The third time I went to Paris this summer, I stayed with my good friend Jessica. I met Jessica in New Orleans while I was conducting research there. She was a post doc at Tulane and has since acquired a tenure track position in Oklahoma (Go Jess!)

Jessica lives in the 2nd arrondissement - an extremely charming part of Paris that I wrote a post about earlier this year. So, naturally, I was excited to visit her!

Most of my trip, though, was spent in the archive. I made my way back to the National Library, except this time I felt like a veteran rather than a neophyte. And to add a cherry on top of my already exciting experience, I had a really fruitful (ha!) trip to the archive. I knew exactly what materials I wanted to see and I found some really interesting parallels between depictions of street vendors in Paris and New Orleans.



When I wasn't in the archive, I was out exploring with some of my friends. Why not go to the Louvre again? It's the Louvre, after all!


At one point, Jess and I did a bit of food exploring. We headed to the Île Saint-Louis to try out Berthillon - a special ice cream "indigenous" to this one island in Paris. I tried rose flavored. Delicious! The French are so good at floral flavored desserts. Bravo!



I was also able to meet up with two of my roommates from Rome, Anna and Jie. We decided to convene at Notre Dame (how cool!) and then hold a picnic at the pont neuf.



After watching the sunset over the Seine, we headed toward the carnival at the Tuileries. I had the most magical swings ride of my life -- flying over top of Paris at sunset. You could see all of the monuments in that gorgeous, warm light. I loved it!



The next morning, Jie, Jess, and I met up at the Petit Palais to see the Paris 1900 Exhibit (the one that I was dying to see the last two times I was in Paris!). An exhibit hasn't captured my attention like this in since the Alexander McQueen Exhibit at the MET. I spent 3 hours totally immersed in its amazing collections -- ones that ranged from architectural plans from the 1888 World's Fair to home furnishing of the Belle Epoque era to paintings of the Moulin Rouge. I was so entranced by turn-of-the-century France. I could have spent even longer in the exhibit, but Jie and Jess were ready to head out and grab some lunch.





Before I knew it, I was off to London -- MY LAST STOP (well, sort of! I had to go to Oxford too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment