Saturday 22 February 2014

Lunch at Dooky Chase's

This Thursday, I had lunch with Carol Allen -- the woman who wrote Leah Chase's biography. She was kind enough to invite me to Dooky Chase's restaurant to catch up and chat with Ms. Chase. The food (as always) was delicious. Their fried chicken is so moist on the inside with the crispiest breading--wow!!!



It was really nice to see Ms. Chase. We went back to the kitchens where she was working (even though she is almost 90, she still works at the restaurant most days). I asked her a few questions about the local markets in New Orleans back in the 1940s etc. She was really open and willing to share her experiences, which was a great help to me! She also invited me to attend Lundi Gras celebrations at her restaurant on the Monday before Mardi Gras. That was so kind of her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment