Sunday 23 February 2014

Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus


"May the force be with you!" echoed along the streets of the otherwise sleepy Marigny as the Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus rolled along Franklin Avenue. Last night, Trekkies (or Trekkers, as the more serious fans like to call themselves), Star Wars fanatics, Dr. Who lovers, Battle Star Galactica feans, and a mishmash of sci-fi geeks gathered for a parade that embraced all things extrateresstrial. Speaking of, my favorite part of the parade was the "Rolling Elliots" -- over 100 people dressed in red hoodies riding on bicycles with E.T.s in their baskets! They stretched out their arms, their index finger pointing, and touched their digits to those of anxiously waiting passersby. Everyone had a little E.T. in them last night.


What I love most about this parade is the krewe members' unabashed love of dorky things! This is their night to fly their freak flag and have thousands of adoring parade goers cheer them on - what a feeling that must be! A recent article in the Times-Picayune talks about the infectious atmosphere of Chewbacchus. What I find interesting is that this krewe is strictly for sci-fi fans. They state on the krewe's website that fairies, elves etc. are strictly forbidden (as are unicorns, unless they are robo-unicorns). At one point during the parade, a giant dance party spontaneously happened. Parade goers joined krewe members on the street and danced for a good 10 minutes before the parade continued its slow march down Franklin Ave.





I've made a few friends who live in the Marigny. Last night, I was able to stop by my Tulane Med School friend's BBQ. Later, I headed to a chili party hosted by one of my professor's daughter. And, at one point, I ran into friends from Duke and the Southern Food and Beverage Museum near Mimi's bar. The atmosphere by Mimi's was really cool - it basically felt like a giant block party. The streets shut down and people brought out bars on wheels into the middle of Franklin Avenue. Everyone was wearing strange costumes a la Jonny Depp in the most recent iteration of Alice in Wonderland.



Oh! And on my way to Chewbacchus, my friend Brad and I ran into the Krewe of 'tit Rex parade -- a miniature carnival parade with floats that are only about 1 foot tall!




No comments:

Post a Comment