Saturday 22 February 2014

Krewe of Cleopatra (Uptown Parades)

Yesterday morning, I presented an academic paper at Tulane's Global Gulf Conference. Later that day, I also gave a 1-hour talk at the Newcomb College Institute for Research on Women where I am a visiting scholar this year. Both talks were related to my dissertation research on the French Market.  It was wonderful to have an opportunity to flesh out those ideas and receive feedback on my analysis.

As part of the Global Gulf Conference, I attended a Mardi Gras party on Napoleon Avenue right at the start of the Uptown parade routes. Last night, the Krewe of Oshun and the Krewe of Cleopatra paraded along Napoleon, down St. Charles, and then along Canal St. I really liked being at the head of the parade route because you could catch a glimpse of all of the preparations prior to start of the parade. Marching bands were pouring in by the busload from across New Orleans and the surrounding parishes, little old ladies and young children were claiming spots along the parade route hours before it began, and police were trying to keep everything running as smoothly as possible.

 
The Uptown parade was so different from the Marigny/French Quarter parades I saw last weekend. It was much more family-oriented. In addition, the Uptown floats were bigger, more uniform, less spontaneous, but also fun! There were also a lot of beads and different throws -- A LOT! By the end of the evening, my next was sore from wearing so many beads!!!



Presenters, professors, and students alike attended the party and vied for coveted spots along the parade route. I was shoulder to shoulder with a very famous historian who was having just as much fun as I was trying to catch beads and beg for throws. I came to realize yesterday that Mardi Gras is the great equalizer. Whether rich or poor, young or old, famous professor or young graduate student, people are going to scream and jump for Mardi Gras throws (I swear a 95 year old lady elbowed me in order to get a coveted Oshun bead necklace)!

After watching the krewes go by, I walked along St. Charles to meet up with some friends who were a bit farther down the parade route. It was really fun people watching - St. Charles was a little rowdier than Napoleon (less families/more partying etc).


By the time I got home, I was exhausted! I pulled the dozens of beads off my neck and put them in a giant glimmer pile on the table. I'm not quite sure what to do with them...


No comments:

Post a Comment