Wednesday 4 February 2009

Durham England- A Visit with Laura


I was lucky enough to visit one of my best friend's from high school, Laura, this past weekend at Durham. Located in northern England Durham is a quaint English town built on a somewhat treacherous hill. Durham is best know for its Gothic Cathedral which was built in the 11th century. It towers over the surrounding woods and can be seen miles away. Laura and I popped our heads in on Sunday afternoon and a service was being held. The choir was magnificent and truly sounded like Angels. It was very pure and simple music which I think fit the plain yet bold interior of the cathedral. Laura and I went out to grab a nice lunch in town and then headed back to the Cathedral to explore a bit more. To my joy I discovered that Durham cathedral is another place where harry potter was filmed (it IS strange how much the movie keeps coming in and out of my life here). And on our way out of the Cathedral I notices a very large door knocker with a little plaque next to it explaining that village people could place their complaints in the mouth of the door knocker way back when...interesting and effective for getting ones attention!



No comments:

Post a Comment