Sunday 8 December 2013

Oak Street Po-Boy Fest

My friend Farren, who lived in New Orleans for many years, told me that this was the best festival to attend aside from Mardi Gras.  Obviously, I had to go!  Caroline and I went in the late afternoon because Rebirth Brass Band was playing from 4:30-6:00 on Sunday.  There were dozens of po'boys that ranged from classics like the fried oyster po'boy to new creations like the sushi po'boy.  I had heard good things about the Pilgram Po'boy (e.g. the Thanksgiving Po'boy).  That was the first one I tried.  The cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce, and roasted turkey went so well together on French Bread.  Who knew?  I'm a convert!  We also tried the Cajun Boudin'boy which had deep fried boudin balls and a Creole cream sauce on French Bread.  There is nothing like that mixture of rice, pork, and Cajun spices.  Yum!  We also tried the Waffle'boy which had lemongrass fried chicken and Asian slaw wrapped up in a sweet potato waffle.  It was so different from what I am used to, but I liked the sweet-sour taste combination.  We topped off our culinary adventuring with white chocolate bread pudding.  To. die. for.




No comments:

Post a Comment