Friday 25 April 2014

Fes to Marrakech

I am currently sitting on the rooftop terrace of our riad in Marrakech. Elah left for her solo adventures in Scotland 20 minutes ago. I have a few hours in Marrakech before I fly to Madrid, Spain and then on to Lima, Peru to present at a Digital History conference.






I left off my last blog post on the train to Marrakech. After those two gentlemen left us, a group of four Moroccan women joined us in our compartment. As the sun beat down on the train, things began to heat up quickly without air conditioning. It was truly sweltering, but the engineer fixed the problem with an hour left on our train ride. During that ride, the Moroccan women began to speak to each other in French. Interestingly, it took me nearly an hour to realize that they were actually speaking in French because the language was so heavily accented with Arabic/Berber undertones. Instead of aspirating their r’s like the French do, these women rolled them as one does when speaking Arabic. The lilt, or tonal quality of the language was also different and sounded more like Arabic than French. For a good hour or so, I tried to follow along with their conversation. I would only pick up the occasional phrase or word, though when 3 of the women were speaking (one actually had a fairly Parisian French accent, so I could understand her just fine).





Anyway, the trains in Morocco are notoriously late. Our train was delayed 1 hour, which made things a bit tricky when we tried to find our hired taxi cab driver. We got settled at the train station and then began searching for a sign with our names on it. The situation felt eerily similar to our earlier experience at the airport in Fes. We looked around, we walked around the building, we peered around the taxi stand area and along the main street. Not only was there no sign with our names on it, there were no signs for arriving guests at all! But, this did not surprise us this much after our experiences in Fes. So, we “got to work” as proactive tourists. I began asking security guards and the other taxi drivers if they had seen our driver. The security guard did not and the other taxi drivers tried to get us to go into town with them. One of them was quite truthful (although we were not sure if he was trying to take advantage of us at the time), stating that there were two options to get to our riad. We could take a 10Dh cab ride to the main square and navigate from there, or we could take an 150 Dh cab ride around the Medina and to the back side, which would put us within 5 minutes of our riad. We declined his offer to take us into the city, and we ventured back into the station to try to ask for help. We went into a shop and I asked the shopkeeper if she would be willing to let us borrow her cell phone to call the riad. She spoke French, but didn’t really seem to trust us. She did, however, call Abdel (the innkeeper) on our behalf and tell him that we were at the airport. She told us to wait for our driver at the taxi stand. We still weren’t sure if she actually got in touch with the right person, so I went back to the taxi stand and asked one of the drivers for help. I explained that we had hired a driver, that he had not arrived, and that we were searching for a cell phone to call him. The driver, after a few moments, offered to call Abdel on our behalf. After a 5-minute conversation in Arabic, the taxi driver handed the phone to me and I spoke to Abdel who said we could take this taxi into the city. I handed the phone back to the driver who then had another 5-minute conversation with Abdel and then we set off. Once again, Elah and I were not sure if things were actually going to work out, but we sort of just went with the flow. And, as usual, although somewhat chaotic, everything did work out in the end. Abdel met us at the gates of the Medina, we (once again), followed our innkeeper into the heart of the old city, and found ourselves at Riad 107 no worse for ware.








This Riad was truly an oasis after an 8-hour long (super hot) train ride. The building had recently been renovated and felt like a spa – lit with warm, colorful lanterns and draped with white linens. As custom dictates, we sat down for a pot of mint tea and introduced ourselves properly to Abdel. I was actually speaking to him in French because I didn’t realize that he was Abdel (I thought that he was another worker at the riad). Eventually, I asked him what his name was and he looked at me kind of oddly and said, “Abdel!” Oops! Then, we switched to English and everything was a bit easier.





Elah and I made a reservation to have dinner at the riad on the first night. When we went up to the rooftop terrace with its beautiful garden, comfortable lounge chairs, and charming lighting fixtures. I think we both simultaneously breathed a sigh of relief. I could feel the tension slip away as I put my feet up on a comfy poof and listened to the birds sing the sun to sleep. Our dinner just added to already uplifting atmosphere. We enjoyed an eggplant and tomato starter, a beef and prune tagine, and a fruit tagine for dessert. The food was amazingly flavorful and some of the best that we had had thus far in Morocco. Things couldn’t get any better!



After dinner, we lounged about on the terrace, reading our travel guides and planning our major sight seeing for the next day. Eventually, Elah and I made our way down to our cute, clean, relaxing bedroom and settled in for the night. The next morning, we had breakfast on the terrace, soaking in the early morning sun. I have to admit, we were being super lazy and didn’t really set off in the Marrakech until 10:30 or 11:00am! More on sight seeing later…

No comments:

Post a Comment