Saturday 11 April 2009

City of the Renaissance: Florence


I really enjoyed Florence! The churches are breath taking- I do not think I have ever seen anything as beautiful!!! The Duomo caught me off guard...I never thought that the cathedral would be so large. I always thought that it was made of white marble, but it is actually made up of a myriad of colors- mainly pink, green, grey, and white marble.

The inside of the churches were also really interesting. I normally associate churches with frescos or statues, but these churches were covered in elaborate images of inlaid marble. From large lions to delicate flowers, the array of colors and the detail achieved by these artists was the most impressive craftsmanship I have ever seen.

On our last day in Florence I climbed to the top of the Duomo and was rewarded with great views of Florence. It was so nice to get away from tourists and away from the traffic. The height seemed to transport you back in time- before cars, mopeds, and vendors haggling over fake Gucci purses and miniatures of David.

1 comment:

  1. The Duomo is definitely one of my favorite churches!!

    ReplyDelete