Tuesday 27 January 2009

The Land of Harry Potter and other Great Things



I can't help but feel that I do in fact attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft in Wizardry in the fantastical land of Harry Potter. Everyday I find myself walking along the cobble stone streets (attempting not to topple over), past fortress-like walls, and around actual motes. Any fan of fantasy or fictional writing could appreciate the aura of Oxford. I think most alluring to my imagination are the libraries at Oxford. In this brief entry I will attempt to take you on a whirlwind tour of Oxford's best study rooms.


As I mentioned in a previous post, the Radcliffe Camera Library is absolutely spectacular. I often study in the upper reading room which looks like it came straight from Beauty and the Beast with its delecate pale white stone walls and its robin's egg blue ceiling.



Duke Humphrey's Library is also spectacular. There are several reading room varying in architecture with heavenly ceilings to dark and mysterious corners.


This past Sunday I was exploring some of the more remote college grounds and as I was passing by this immense door I heard the soft melodies of a choir singing the Evensong. I excitedly paused mid-way through one of my long strides and quickly whirled back around to press my ear against the cracked wooden door. The music was heavenly! A quick glance at my Oxford college map let me know that I was standing outside the Merton College Chapel. I had the rest of the evening off so I decided to slip into the chapel and listen to the rest of the service. To my utter glee there was a massive organ in the Chapel accompanying the choir. Its presence was formidable as it appeared to rear up and over the church goers not to mention its strong chords reverberated throughout the stone pillars in the church. I made a commitment then and there to continue to attend the various Evensongs sung at the colleges in Oxford.


My finally harry potter moment occurred when I was out for a night on the town with my new housemates. My housemate excitedly whispered in my ear. "Do you like Harry Potter?" and I had to fight back my reaction to scoff at her "OF COURSE I like Harry Potter." She eagerly continued, "Then look over your left shoulder, its Hermione Granger" and as I spun around I noticed Emma Watson, the actress who plays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films 5 feet away from me. Apparently she lives in Oxford. (Interesting side note: she has visited Yale twice because she is possibly looking to attend the University).

3 comments:

  1. Omg, the pictures are so epic!!! Ahhh, puts Göttingen to shame (but then again, there's never much to say about modern German architecture). Lol, I got so excited when I read that u saw Emma Watson =DDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow!! i can't believe you saw herminone!!! thats so cool!! did you say hi???

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i was growing up as a small child I actually attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft in Wizardry in the fantastical land of Harry Potter. Harry that ol' chap and I were best of friends, untill he turned me into pea soup for calling him Froto Baggins.

    ReplyDelete